Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, has decreed that vaccination will be compulsory for children of all ages to access family tax benefits.
I suggest this action by Tony Abbott is problematic because there are some questionable vaccines and repeat vaccinations on the Australian National Immunisation Program Schedule, e.g. the second dose of live measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) vaccine, and repeated ‘boosters’ with the failing pertussis vaccine. Controversial HPV vaccination will also be compulsory for children in future.
Prime Minister Abbott’s edict for compulsory vaccination contravenes the obligation for ‘legally valid consent’ before vaccination, as outlined in Section 2.1.3 of the Australia Immunisation Handbook, which includes:
For consent to be legally valid, the following elements must be present:
1. It must be given by a person with legal capacity, and of sufficient intellectual capacity to understand the implications of being vaccinated.
2. It must be given voluntarily in the absence of undue pressure, coercion or manipulation.
3. It must cover the specific procedure that is to be performed.
4. It can only be given after the potential risks and benefits of the relevant vaccine, risks of not having it and any alternative options have been explained to the individual.
I am preparing letters to Prime Minister Abbott, challenging his edict for compulsory over-vaccination with questionable vaccine products, in particular the second dose of live MMR vaccine, repeated ‘boosters’ with the failing pertussis vaccine, and controversial HPV vaccination.
In this regard, see my letter to Prime Minister Abbott re vaccination and legally valid consent (22 June 2015).
Also see my letter to Prime Minister Abbott questioning vaccination policy in Australia (21 January 2015), requesting he urgently address the problem of potential conflicts of interest and lack of disclosure by members of groups influencing vaccination policy in Australia.
For a summary of my letter and the response from the Immunisation Branch of the Health Department, see this hyperlink: Letter to Australian Prime Minister re vaccination policy in Australia.
For some examples of how Tony Abbott’s ‘no jab, no play and no pay’ announcement has been widely reported in Australia, see:
- Anti-vaccination parents face $15,000 welfare hit under ‘No Jab’ reforms, The Daily Telegraph
- Childcare rebates could be denied to anti-vaccination parents under new Federal Government laws, ABC News
- Support for government push to withdraw welfare payments from anti vaccination parents, Sydney Morning Herald
For background on the lucrative vaccine industry see: Over-vaccination – A Multi-Billion Dollar Market
 Prime Minister. No Jab – No Play and No Pay for Child Care. Media Release, 12 April 2015: https://www.pm.gov.au/media/2015-04-12/no-jab-no-play-and-no-pay-child-care-0
 National Immunisation Program Schedule (From 20 April 2015): http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/national-immunisation-program-schedule
 Section 2.1.3 Valid consent. The Australian Immunisation Handbook, 10th Edition 2013 (updated January 2014): http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/Handbook10-home~handbook10part2~handbook10-2-1